Tom or Hen?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by chickenmomma16, Feb 21, 2013.

1. chickenmomma16

chickenmomma16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2012
    Buckley, Washington
    Please explain what makes a bronze turkey a hen or tom. I thought I knew but maybe explain a little more detail? If I can't figure this out I may as well stick with my chickens. I thought sexing them had to do with the feather tip color but I think I was wrong about this one...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. turkeyguy123

turkeyguy123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2013
    I'd say it's a Tom. Hens don't have a snood that large.

3. honda150

honda150 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2012
    maine
    100% hen breast feathers are laced with white and feathers going up the back of the neck.

4. turkeyguy123

turkeyguy123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2013
    how do you explain the snood and carnacles?

5. honda150

honda150 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2012
    maine
    I started out with bbb last spring and 2 out of the 3 would strut and get all red in the neck and carnucles would swell snoods would grow.But one thing everyone told me was look at the breast feathers,i swore they were toms.the breast feathers were laced with white.They were right i am 100% percent that this bronze is a hen.

6. chickenmomma16

Jul 16, 2012
    Buckley, Washington

Yeah, thats about where I'm at... :barnie

Here is a couple more pictures. Excuse the chickens, the turkey in question is in the center. I know the Burbon Red is a tom and the other Bronze is a hen and they came from the same place. The turkey inquestion mysteriously showed up and acts like a tom AND hen... must be a very confused turkey. It also looks like a male AND female to me like a 50/50 male characteristics and female characteristics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. chickenmomma16

Jul 16, 2012
    Buckley, Washington

Have you ever seen a hen sit on top of another hen?

8. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    Looks like a hen to me, the tell is the feathers on the back of the neck. I can tell by this on mine before anything else, Holland Whites are all White feathered, so there is no difference in feathering coloring to tell sex.

9. chickenmomma16

Jul 16, 2012
    Buckley, Washington
    Celie,
    You told me about the feathers going up the back of the neck when I first aquired this turkey. Then someone else said to look for the white feather tips. This turkey has both of these and I have never heard it gobble, only quiet little peeps and one time I heard "It" sound an alarm from the roof top.

The reason I question th sex of this bird is because I have seen "It" posture with the Burbon Red for quite a while a couple of times. The snood does not get very big though, doesnt get past the beak. But I have seen the colors flash of the head. The other day I looked out my window only to find this "hen" on top of my new/younger FOR SURE hen. It was all puffed up and not doing a very good job finding the target. The Burbon Red FOR SURE tom simply walked over to the poor hen laying down, knocked the "It" Bronze off and did the deed.

This was the best picture I could find of the back of the back of the head.

[​IMG]

10. chickenmomma16

Jul 16, 2012
    Buckley, Washington
    Tom - 1
    Hen - 2
    Anyone else?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by