Tom plucks his wing feathers

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TurkeyCat, Apr 18, 2017.

1. TurkeyCat

TurkeyCat New Egg

Apr 18, 2017
    Hi. My male turkey has been pulling out his wing feathers, as well as chewing the tail feathers. Any idea of why he'd do that?

2. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    could be boredom how big is the run that you have him in

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  4. TurkeyCat

TurkeyCat New Egg

Apr 18, 2017
    It's very large. We found him abandoned in the hills above our neighborhood four days before Christmas. We live in So Cal. He starts gobbling at sunrise so we let him out of pen then (5:45am) & spend the following 12+hrs outside with him. The cats hang out with us too. Then at sunset we put him back in pen.

5. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    might be lonely, time to get him some hens [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sometimes birds eat feathers to get protein. Maybe he needs more in his turkey feed. He is probably stressed also because NO GIRLS!!!!

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under TurkeyCat [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some good suggestions and a link to the Turkey Forum, I will just wish you all the best. Also, I know nuff’n 'bout Turkeys [​IMG]

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your boy, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by