Tom to Hen Introduction?

johnsonfarm

Songster
10 Years
Oct 17, 2012
Wisconsin
Currently have a single turkey hen living with our chickens (yes, I know, blackhead-- the local Ag Extension said it isn't an issue in my area). Our pet tom passed away a few months ago and we are going to pick up a new one that has also been around chickens. I am wondering what the best way to introduce them would be. Should I put the tom in a separate coop (alone or with the hen?) until he knows where "home" is? Should I put him in the regular coop with the chickens and all? Any suggestions?

Have not had any aggression problems with the hen, in fact she gets picked on by the chickens occasionally. And our recently deceased tom was very sweet too. I'm wondering what the chances are of having any issues.

Currently have a single turkey hen living with our chickens (yes, I know, blackhead-- the local Ag Extension said it isn't an issue in my area). Our pet tom passed away a few months ago and we are going to pick up a new one that has also been around chickens. I am wondering what the best way to introduce them would be. Should I put the tom in a separate coop (alone or with the hen?) until he knows where "home" is? Should I put him in the regular coop with the chickens and all? Any suggestions?

Have not had any aggression problems with the hen, in fact she gets picked on by the chickens occasionally. And our recently deceased tom was very sweet too. I'm wondering what the chances are of having any issues.
As with all newcomers, the tom should be quarantined before any introductions. Keeping him where they can see each other will be the best. They can get acquainted from afar which should help when it is time for the real introduction after his quarantine has passed.

Back
Top Bottom