1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tom Turkey not feelong well

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Meralee, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Meralee

Meralee Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2007
    Reno Nv
    HI I was directed her by a freind on another forum(horses) that you may be able to help. I have a 1 1/2 yr old Tom Turkey who has lost interest in eating-he still eats but real lethargicly and has runny small manuer. I have him some wormer(ivermectin) today Any other sugestions? Many thanks! Meralee

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Meralee.... [​IMG] Welcome to BYC. Sounds to me like you are doing whats right. Might be internal parasites. Is there a way you can get a poo sample, and take it to a vet? They can do a fecal float, and tell you just whats going on, if it parasites. Fecal floats usually run about 10 to 15$
    Is he a lone Tom or does he have a hen or 2? What breed is he? If he is a broad breasted( meat turkey) he might be coming past his prime? I hope he feels better soon! Keep us posted!

3. Meralee

Meralee Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2007
    Reno Nv
    Thanks! No he has no girls-I cant find any in the reno area-no ads or word of mouth.Tried rasing somemore chicks last year but they wernt well and didnt make it more than 2 days [​IMG] He lives with my chickens,ducks and pot bellies .Dont know the breed as I got him cheep at the local feed store,and they didnt know but but he is not white [​IMG] Very pretty feathers,a few spots of white in the feathers but everytime he sheds,less,so assume he is not a meat bird. Thanks again! Mer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by