Tom turkey sitting on eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mndrockhunter, Oct 10, 2016.

1. mndrockhunter

mndrockhunter Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2015
    Yes, you read right, my Tom turkey, Dumbledore, has begun brooding!! And they are not even turkey eggs, he has adopted some eggs from my ducks. He has a nest!! Yes, a nest and he has been incubating them!! We have a turkey hen but she has no interest in him. Poor guy, try as he might shes not having it. She has her own nest in another part of the yard. Anyone else have this experience, I'm very curious to see if they actually hatch.

2. Venevee

Venevee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2016
    First off, that's probably the most cuteness thing ever. Secondly, they should hatch if he is consistently on them, keeping them warm. The only thing is... will he maintain the motherly instinct he so strangely developed after they hatch and be able to raise them...
    I don't own turkeys, and I've never experienced anything like this in my flock. But I do have a roo who is oddly affectionate towards the free-ranged chicks and will show them food and do the motherly "chirp" to them to call them over to the food.

3. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]AWWWW[​IMG] As Venevee says, they may hatch if he keeps sitting on them!!

4. Mylied

Mylied Overrun With Chickens

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    That's really neat. Do you have a pic of his sitting on his nest?

5. Venevee

Venevee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2016
    Yes! I would love to see a picture as well please :)

6. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Same!!

7. mndrockhunter

May 6, 2015
    Lol, yeah i will try and get a picture posted, he stays on them constantly except during feeding time. He will come eat with others then go right back to the next. He has picked out, or lost some chest feathers and they are all around inside his nest! If they do hatch we will bring them inside to the brooder, it is just safer. I don't know for sure if they were fertilized or not we have both male and female ducks so they may have been. I'll try and get a picture posted

8. mndrockhunter

May 6, 2015
    Here is my Tom on his nest [​IMG]

9. Mylied

Mylied Overrun With Chickens

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    Aww, how sweet! You can't leave him a duckling or two for his hard work?

10. mndrockhunter

May 6, 2015
    Well they are free range,we have a fence, and we have predators, we've lost a couple hens and one chick. I'll see how he does if he pays any attention to one, if it hatches.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by