Tom with a swollen snood - any advice?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by neverbdone, Oct 19, 2014.

1. neverbdone

neverbdone Songster

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    I have a tom that showed up with a swollen snood yesterday. They don't fight much, but fighting may be the reason. Does anyone know of any other problem this could be that I might need to separate or give anything to him? It doesn't seem infected, just really swollen. I'm sure it hurts because he doesn't have his eyes fully open.[​IMG]

2. Ok that is real swollen. the poor thing.

3. neverbdone

neverbdone Songster

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    Do you think from fighting? Or a different problem?

4. shaninsky

shaninsky In the Brooder

Sep 17, 2014
    Looks like some kind of injury or infection. Sometimes these things work themselves out on their own. If it doesn't get any worse, I'd just keep an eye on it.

5. shaninsky

shaninsky In the Brooder

Sep 17, 2014
    How is your tom?

6. neverbdone

neverbdone Songster

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    Still swollen but seems to be getting better. Hard to tell right now because its dark now when I go and come from work, so I'll update tomorrow.

7. shaninsky

shaninsky In the Brooder

Sep 17, 2014
    When you get a chance, I'd love to know how you enjoy your ducks.

8. neverbdone

neverbdone Songster

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    Oh, I do need to change my signature. I sold them off. But I enjoyed the muscovies. Quiet and didn't take much work. Only issues were getting the eggs away from the girls. They don't have sharp beaks, but they can cause blood blisters and you better watch out for thoses ladylike claws. Otherwise very passive and sweet, and yes yummy. Not a fatty meat like Peakins but more of a beef type flavor. The Turkies are more fun.

1 person likes this.
  9. neverbdone

neverbdone Songster

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    Oh, Tom is doing much better, but the boys have really started going at each other lately. Only four weeks to go though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: