1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tomato Caterpillars. Treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bzbrown, Jul 10, 2011.

1. bzbrown

bzbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

I discovered 5 of these big horrible things on my maters this evening. I bribed my son and his friend to remove them, and take them off the property lol. Could we have just tossed them in to the chicken run? I have given them left over bait worms from fishing, and they love catching crickets and such, but I wasn't sure if Tomato Caterpillars were safe....

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The tomato horned worms are safe for the chickens if they will eat them. I tried feeding one today and the chickens refused to eat it. Just too big and strange, I guess. If one had gotten brave, then they would all have wanted one.

3. bzbrown

bzbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks! When I find more, and I'm sure I will I'll only make the kids pluck them and toss them in the run, instead of leaving the property lol..

4. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Mine eat them, but those horn-worms are so nasty that I can't watch! [​IMG]

5. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

The best chicken delicacy, ever!

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Mine like 'em!

[​IMG]

7. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Most of mine do too. They are pretty "juicy". [​IMG] We had some Buff Orphs last year and everytime they saw us at the tomato plants they would walk all over each other to be the closest one to their run that would catch what we tossed their way. It was like candy and kids. [​IMG]

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Oh yes, chicken treat! My kids love finding the gigantic hornworm moths, plucking the wings, and feeding them those also.

9. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Wow, I never thought a chicken would want to eat those.......I wonder if they eat the sharp little horn on the rear?

10. sunnydalefarms

sunnydalefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Sturgeon, MO
    My birds didn't seem to like them much. They all surrounded and inspected it but only one took a bite. When I left it was still there, don't know if they ever finished it or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by