tomato hornworms

alw018

Hatching
Nov 28, 2020
Is it safe for ducks to eat tomato hornworms that have been eating tomato leaves? I often read about people feeding such hornworms to chickens.

I have fed my ducks tomato hornworms, but only a couple at a time. Due to the hornworm's diet, it's not something I would want to give my ducks a lot of, but I don't think the occasional hornworm will do any harm.

Is it safe for ducks to eat tomato hornworms that have been eating tomato leaves? I often read about people feeding such hornworms to chickens.
I do hear a lot of people feed them to chickens and ducks. Ducks particularly enjoy worms, slugs, snails, caterpillars, etc. However, I just read this which can be concerning:

You may have seen it in your backyard, crawling on your tomato plants. It's a hornworm! ... Wild hornworms collect and store the toxin in the plants they feed on (tomatoes and tobacco) which makes them toxic if they are ingested by your pet.Aug 7, 2019
1627596145263.png

https://vetmed.illinois.edu › wel › cr...

Last edited:
I have fed wild ones from my tomato plants to little leopard geckos and my ducks with no ill effects. It was only one or two at a time when I found them n my plants but still.

Back
Top Bottom