Tomato Hornworms

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by weesie, Jul 13, 2010.

1. weesie

weesie New Egg

Jul 15, 2009
    I have found to different places on here about the tomato hornworm. One says don't feed to chickens because they eat tomatos and the other one says they love them. Can someone tell me which one it is?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My BR loves them. Haven't had a problem.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

my birds love them as well

I'll tell you how to get rid of them though. Hang a bug zapper light up near your tomato plants and keep it on at night. The moths lay eggs on the tomato plants that turn into the hornworms, kill the moths = no worms on tomatoes. I haven't found a tomato "hornworm" at all this year!!!

4. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    I've had really good luck with companion planting - supposedly planting things like pungent herbs, onions and garlic around your tomatoes will repel tomato hornworms. I stopped getting them the year I put basil plants in among my tomatoes, but it could just be a coincidence.

I have to admit though, I would love to see what my chickens would do with them. [​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:They play a great game of keep away! [​IMG]

6. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Great idea about the bug zapper, I am going to have to give that a try! I have had hornworms that were so big, I would be afraid to feed them to my chickens for fear they would be able to take a banty in a one on one cage match. [​IMG]

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I've heard of people feeding them to reptiles. They tend to be a lot more cautious about what they feed than is required for chickens so I doubt there is any danger.

8. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    What about the "horn"? Do you snip it off or leave it on?

9. meowteri2

meowteri2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    chicago sw suburbs
    The hornworms given to reptiles are not raised on tomato leaf diet. They are even a different color green from the feed they get.
    Tomato leaf is suppose to be poison.

10. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Our hens love them (horn and all) and we've had no health problems. Om nom nom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by