Tomato plants OK for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by blurose, Oct 26, 2009.

1. blurose

blurose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Winston, Oregon
    A frost got my tomato plants already. There are still quite a few tomatos on them and I was gonna give those to the chickens. Is it ok to just pull up the whole plant and toss it to them?

2. sutillman

sutillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    south georgia
    Tomatoes are OK, but the plants are toxic.

3. richje100

richje100 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    UK, Wales
    yeah agree,ive just found a post & said the same thing. weird, i was thinking the same thing.

4. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Tomatoes are in the nightshade family. Definitely toxic.

5. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Really??!! I gave mine to my chickens about a month ago. I did notice they didn't have much to do with them. They picked the tomatoes out and pretty much left the vine alone. I guess I am lucky they thought it was yucky!!

6. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    The plant itself contains too much solanine to be safe for ANYTHING to eat it.... so don't let them eat it [​IMG]

7. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    You might want to try making some fried green tomatoes for you and your family as well. We had high winds last week that blew four green tomatoes right off the vines. I didn't want them to go to waste so make Fried Green Tomatoes as an appetizer for dinner that night and my whole family loved them (even DS who doesn't like cooked tomatoes). They actually taste quite different from ripe tomatoes and have a different texture as well.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Tomatoes are in the Solanaceae or nightshade family.
    The family includes Datura (Jimson weed), mandrake, deadly nightshade (belladonna), capsicum (paprika, chili pepper), potato, tobacco, tomato, eggplant and petunia.

Chris

9. kikster

kikster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2009
    OH NO!!! Hubby just tossed our frost hit tomato plants in yesterday after weeding the garden! Not my girls!

Gotta go get it outta there!

10. eastbaychicks

eastbaychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    Fear.... mine have been munching on the leaves all summer long. I had no idea. Now what? They love the tomatoes and I see them picking at the greens. Ugh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by