Tomato = Red Poop?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Crayonsmom, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Crayonsmom

Crayonsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    [​IMG] Please tell me tomatoes can make duck poop look reddish. [​IMG] Otherwise something's wrong.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  2. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I fed my mallards chopped tomatoes and no red poop. Is this all you are feeding them? I only gave them chopped tomatoes and peas as a treat only.

3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Playing in dirt = brown poo
    colored kitty food = colored poo
    peas = green poo
    tomatoes = red
    yellow grower feed = yellow poo

Depends on how much they ate in one sitting, but yes, the foods can affect the poo color. I have gravel in my run that the poo sits on, and when I spray it off in the evening, I can all the colors of whatever they snacked on through the day.

I'm curious to see what color the melon poo will be, I just gave them half of a melon so I should have results in the next couple hours. [​IMG]

4. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    And beetroot = pink poop, pink water and pink everything.

The red tomato poop sounds normal to me. Sometimes I wonder if ducks spend anytime digesting their food at all. Mostly what comes out is just a pureed version of what went in [​IMG]

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

My mother came over one day and fed my whole flock some strawberries, without me knowing. The next day I was freaking out because there was red poo EVERYWHERE, I was so sure they were all dying until i mentioned it to her about them being "sick" and there was bloody red poo everywhere and she told me she had fed them strawberries, lol.

I felt like am idiot [​IMG]

6. 70%cocoa

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    LOL, sounds like me the first time I fed them watermelon.

And rockmelon (cantaloupe) makes orange poop.

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    That sounds like me, too, the first time we gave ours watermelon. Very scary seeing the red water in the pools. I thought for sure it was blood, until I remembered a post on here about it.

8. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Yes, this evening I learned cantaloupe does make yellow. [​IMG]

9. Crayonsmom

Crayonsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    70%cocoa :

Sometimes I wonder if ducks spend anytime digesting their food at all. Mostly what comes out is just a pureed version of what went in [​IMG]

Haha. I agree with you on that one! [​IMG] One time I few her some peaches and about 15 minutes later it came out, still smelling sort of like peaches. [​IMG]

I think the red poop was likely normal then! Thanks for everyone's input. [​IMG] She ate a good ammount of it; I was feeding little pieces as treats, and to stop her from jumping up to grab my sandwich. [​IMG]

I was definitely worried it might be blood! But it's definitely not. The duckling's most recent poop has looked pretty normal, so it had to be the tomato. Ewww. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  10. 70%cocoa

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Quote:I laughed so much at that I nearly cried.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by