1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tomato soup canning, pressure or water bath?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by OccamsTazer, Jan 5, 2010.

1. OccamsTazer

OccamsTazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    I've only ever done water bath canning, I'm still pretty new to the whole thing. I have a tomato soup that I make that is very good, and I'd like to put some up, because it's a huge pain in the butt to make.
    It has cream, and the onions are cooked in bacon fat, is this a pressure canner situation?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd only do it in a pressure canner.

3. bonnylass79

bonnylass79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Central Florida
    Yes, you should use a pressure canner.

Take a look at this website: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/ It has recommendations for preservation and storage for all types of foods.

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Tomatoes always go in the water bath due to the acidity you don't have to pressure.

5. bonnylass79

bonnylass79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Central Florida
    Quote:Technically not true. USDA still recommends using a pressure canner for tomatoes. However, her recipe also has cream and bacon fat, so she would definately need the pressure canner.

6. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Quote:Technically not true. USDA still recommends using a pressure canner for tomatoes. However, her recipe also has cream and bacon fat, so she would definately need the pressure canner.

I agree, I use a pressure bath for my tomato soup because of the ingredients. If I make soup without animal fat/ingredients, I use a water bath only. I make it several ways for family members that have allergies.

7. OccamsTazer

OccamsTazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    I was afraid that you guys would say that :p
    Thanks for the info though, I guess I will have to wait until I have the necessary tools. It would be sooo nice to have a bunch of big jars 'o soup hanging out in the pantry.

8. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    I always add cream to a soup just before eating. I find it freezes and/or cans better without the cream already in it.

ETA: You could always freeze the soup in those gallon freezer bags and stack them flat. That's what I do for some soups.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  9. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I was assuming that it was tomatoes only, we never add anything to ours until we cook it. I was just going by the way my grandmothers and great grandmother have always done it.

10. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    I'd freeze it if it was your recipe, you should only can approved recipes for canning! No dairy, it is not approved for home canning. I have a recipe for roasted tomato and garlic soup, it is approved for pressure canning, but makes so little, that I just freeze it! That way I do not have to watch if I go over in measuring out the ingredients! It is really good, and freezes well! I freeze in 2 serving containers!
    The bacon fat would also be a concern.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by