Tomato Soup Recipe Anyone??

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by UrbanChick101, Aug 18, 2010.

1. UrbanChick101

UrbanChick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    I would love to make some homemade tomato soup, however, I don't know where to begin!! Anyone have an awesome recipe to share?

2. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Hrmm... I had one that involved cutting them in half, sticking them under the broiler, and letting the skin turn black in spots. It was really really good. I think we've used different recipes since then, but always did the broiling part even if it didn't call for it.

I think this is similar to the recipe we used http://www.bunkycooks.com/2010/04/roasted-tomato-soup/ (except I put the tomatoes so that the cut part faced down - no idea why)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2010
  3. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    my mil's recipe, chop up bell peppers, celery, onions, cook in butter til tender, add to tomato juice, since i usually do a bushel of tomato's at a time, takes at least four pounds of butter, about ten onions, same for peppers, same for the celery (or as much as you want in the soup) process as normal. we love it.[​IMG]

4. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup
    Recipe By :Katie
    12 tomatoes -- *see Note
    2 carrots -- cut in 1" pieces
    1 large onion -- quartered
    2 whole heads garlic -- peeled (or more, to taste)
    olive oil
    2 cups chicken broth -- (or 3)

1/2 cup chopped fresh basil -- (or 1 Tbsp. dried)
    Core tomatoes and cut in half. Place, cut side up, on foil covered cookie sheet with carrots, onion and garlic. Brush with olive oil. Bake at 400F for about an hour, or until vegies are roasted and a little blackened. Place in a large saucepan with the chicken broth and basil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Blend with a stick blender (or in small batches in a blender) until almost smooth. To can: Process in a pressure canner, pints for 60 min. and quarts for 70 min.For dial gauge canners use 11 pounds pressure at 0-2000 ft., 12 lbs. at 2001-4000 ft., 13 lbs. at 4001-6000 ft. and 14 lbs. above 6000 ft. For weighted gauge canners use 10 lbs. pressure at 0-1000 ft., and 15 lbs. over 1000 ft.
    *Note: These measurements are approximate...I use whatever it takes to cover the cookie sheet. This makes 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of soup. Cream may be added to taste when the soup is served.

I didn't can it I froze it instead! It was yummy!

5. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by