1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tomatoes and laying are they connected??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by plymouthrockFarm123, Nov 11, 2008.

1. plymouthrockFarm123

plymouthrockFarm123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    our chickens are supposed to be 17 weeks old at the end of the month but some have started laying. And it seems like whenever we feed them tomatoes they lay an egg or 2. WHY IS THIS?? thnx sryy i messed up the age

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  2. kaylakala

kaylakala Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Melbourne Florida
    Well now this is interesting.
    I have a friend at church whose hens haven't laid a thing. I'll tell her to feed them some tomatoes

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Are you unsure of the age? Could they be older?

New pullets lay sporadically. I doubt it is tomatoes. The egg formation would have started 25 hours BEFORE it was laid.

4. plymouthrockFarm123

Jul 1, 2008
    i am 99.9% sure of there age i counted on the calendar more that once and its weird cuz i would go check at lunch and there was no egss so i gave them tomatoes and i think it MIGHT incourage them to lay cuz they lay an egg after i give them the tomatoes. it has happened more that 3 times and i have fed them the tomatoes at different times every day and they still lay after.

5. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

THIRTEEN WEEKS!?
    I hate you! I hate you! I hate you! I hate you! I hate you! I hate you!
    Mine are almost 26 weeks old, I give them tomatoes, and we still don't have eggs from them.
    THIRTEEN WEEKS!?

BTW, did I forget to tell you that I hate you! I hate you! I hate you! I hate you! I hate you! I hate you!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

6. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If the egg had not formed 24/25 hours before it would not be laid. They can't just pop out an egg at will. I highly doubt the tomatoes have anything to do with it.

7. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Maybe it's just a stimulation type situation - like when you feed a baby some baby food and in an hr or so they poop. But [​IMG]. If 13wks is their true age then that wld about be one for the record books. [​IMG] So what was their hatch date???

8. Pullet Pimp

Pullet Pimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG]

I feel your pain brother, I feel your pain......... bunch of free-loaders

9. plymouthrockFarm123

Jul 1, 2008
    opps wow i suck at math omg i am so dumb I AM SOOOO SORRY i forgot how to divide srry!!!!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:That makes them 15 weeks old and very possible from hatchery stock to be laying eggs at this age.

Several production breeds will lay this early. 18 - 20 weeks is a ball park average.

I still affirm it is not the tomatoes.

Your pullets are laying age, just a tad on the early side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by