1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

tomatoes, peppers, and spinach

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tiki244, Jul 11, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    and they are worried about our chickens [​IMG]

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    what i dont understand is why are these people not washing thereveggies.I mean come one you dont know if the pickers or anyone else handeling the fruit/veggies washed there hands.What ever happened to common sence.i think america lost it when they became sheep.....

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:REALLY!

Well the store bought ones dont taste very good anyway!

It is really so bad for most of the farmers that dont even have this in their crops but are having to destroy them. Just local foods is the way to go!!!!!!!!

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Local = grown in my state or in my backyard!

Clean = washed in my sink!

5. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    It really is a shame that people don't have better sanitation practices ..and then, as soon as they fall ill to their own bad practice ....innocent folk suffer.

Dealing with reptiles, people are always sooooooooo scared of salmonella outbreaks ...in all my life, I've never had a salmonella issue ..not once! I wash up in between handling and other things ...and my animals are clean and in clean environments.

You'd think food items would be higher on the priority for cleanliness ..than animals! Geeez!

6. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    A few years ago there was a strawberry scare down here because a migrant worker couldn't hold it anymore and had diarrhea all over the strawberry field. Seriously, how many port-o-lets do you see in a bean field etc.? When you gotta go, you gotta go. Just something for you all to think about. Me? I don't eat store bought anything. I go to u-picks or grow them myself.

7. BowChickaBowMow

BowChickaBowMow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Quote:eeeeew! Thanks for putting that picture into my brain! I'll think of it everytime I go throught he produce aisle! Yuk!

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:eeeeew! Thanks for putting that picture into my brain! I'll think of it everytime I go throught he produce aisle! Yuk!

thats it no more strawberries for me and i ate Plant City ones, blech , thanks.

9. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth

thats it no more strawberries for me and i ate Plant City ones, blech , thanks.

Well...In all honesty, it's not just the strawberry pickers that have to take a load off ya know. There really is no facilities for the veggie pickers to go in. I never seen a portable bathroom on a large farm. Uggggh. Anyway, still something to think about. Blucky as it is. Fuzzy animals aren't the only ones hiking their legs on your peppers. [​IMG]

10. akyramoto

akyramoto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Northern CA
    Quote:so ironic especially in the current world of hand sanitizers & disinfecting cloths everywhere.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by