tomatoes toxic?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tuckertori, Oct 10, 2011.

1. tuckertori

tuckertori Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    I have a 7 month old barred rock that was totally healthy yesterday. I came home from work today and she was alone in the yard "sleeping." Tonight she didn't go into the coop and when I went to coax her in, she was laying with no muscle tone and breathing heavily. She ate tomatoes yesterday and my sister said she heard they are toxic. Is it the tomato or the plant? She has had NO symptoms until today and I am totally stumped but I doubt she'll be with us in the morning. I worry that what ever got her might get my other 2. Any ideas or suggestions?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Tomatoes as a fruit, not a plant, are not toxic. I feed mine fresh tomatoes all the time. I think this is a very separate issue.

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Actual tomato fruits are not toxic. The leaves, stems, etc. ARE. The tomato is a member of the nightshade family, if I remember correctly.

4. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    my barred rock love orange cherry tomatoes. so i would say no the tomatoe is not toxic. thats all i know about this though,sorry

5. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Quote:That is correct, they are in the nightshade family along with eggplant and potatoes!

6. jimg5613

jimg5613 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    omaha
    I don't think the tomatoes have anything to do with it. I feed mine tomatoes all the time and they are fine. I have read that the plant itself can be toxic but, my chickens leave the plants alone except for the tomatoes. I hope you figure out what is wrong.

7. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Uh oh. I have been letting my chickens into the garden since the season is pretty much over. I have a hen who suddenly went lame. Could she have eaten part of a tomato plant? I had no idea they were toxic. I also have eggplants in the garden.

8. tuckertori

tuckertori Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    My other 2 girls are still healthy tonight. I was afraid to come home and check on them. I just hope that what ever got Nosey Rosey wasn't contagious. It sure seems silly how quickly they really became a part of the family. They all have personalities and are such fun to garden with. We will miss her.

9. MyBlackHen

MyBlackHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Upstate New York
    So sorry about your loss [​IMG]

I hope you figure out what happened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by