1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by donjr, Mar 16, 2011.

1. donjr

donjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2010
    Looking tomatoes up on the internet this morning, WOW, there are some crazy variaties out there. Would someone recomend a odd looking tomatoe with a good taste.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't know what you mean by odd looking. All of us have different tastes so I have no idea what you consider good taste. I suggest Mr. Stripey if you consider that odd enough. I suspect you will enjoy the taste. I do.

3. AllTheseCreatures

AllTheseCreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

Japanese Black Trifele

My Favorite!! Beautiful tomato, absolutely amazing flavor. Tolerates cool climate conditions pretty well.
    Another favorite is called Delicious. Bright yellow flesh, deep lobed texture like a brandywine tomato. This tomato made the best salsa I EVER had.

EDIT: fixed link [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  4. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    The Elephant tomato is frightfully ugly--not sure on taste as I didn't order any as I highly doubt my "customers" would approve! [​IMG]

5. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    my MIL loves her purple cherokee tomatoes...
    kinda weird coloring on hers..

6. donjr

donjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2010
    Thanks for all the input. I found a site that has all kinds of tomatoes. I just thought it would be neat to grow some that were different. And there sure are some different kinds. I think I would like the orange ones and the red and yellow striped. Just something different! THANKS!

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    This year I'm growing "Black from Tula" tomatoes. It's a Russian heirloom. One person described it as the ugliest and most delicious tomato that they'd ever grown. [​IMG]

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Black Elephant - it's deep purple, has amazing odd shape, and that lovely, smoky purple tomato taste

Ananas Noire - it's striped green, orange, red, pink, purple, and yellow, and has an almost indescribable taste

Green Zebra - striped green and yellow, juice inside tastes like lime juice.

Orange Banana - a simple oblong orange tomato, but VERY sweet and delicious!

Go to rareseeds.com and you'll find all sorts of colors, shapes, and flavors of some old time heirlooms [​IMG] We started out with 6 varieties and now grow and breed 37 varieties. [​IMG]

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Black from Tula has that smokey taste, also. Thanks for mentioning that.

10. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    This year im growing red,white and blue tomatoes....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by