Tomatoes?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TommyDaDelaware, Sep 10, 2012.

1. TommyDaDelaware

TommyDaDelaware Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Central WI.
    We occasionally feed Tomatoes as a treat to our Turkeys/ducks but i was wondering if there were any harm in feeding them to chickens? Sorry if someone already asked this. :) I just have Tomatoes coming out My EARS, and have nothing to do with them. Some are bigger than my fist, not rotting, just got the occasional bee burrowing in them. I wanted to treat my chickies to something new. So, is it possible to feed tomatoes?? Thanks!!

2. ChickenGirl22

ChickenGirl22 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2012
    Chickens absolutely love tomatoes! In fact, they are my flock's favourite food.

3. RobinZ

RobinZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    My chickens have picked my garden clean of tomatoes. They'd all be dead by now if was going to hurt them, lol. They love them, ripe ones only though. The romaine lettuce I grew for them, they won't touch, lol.

4. TommyDaDelaware

Aug 24, 2012
    Central WI.
    My chickies love cukes and other garden plants, too! I just havent given them 'maters yet! :) Just had to make sure they were safe! Are there any Nutritional benefits of tomatoes, or just happy hens? :D

5. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    "Raising Chickens for Dumbies" says tomatoes are fine, but the green parts of the plant can be poisonous. Mine like tomatoes, a lot.

6. Jmanvanatta

Jmanvanatta Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    my hens fly over the fence to get to tomatos then try to get back in becuse thats all they wanted

7. Izzymoon

Izzymoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    My Coop
    mine love tomatoes too! they grab the cherry tomatoes so fast and run around churping...it's adorable :)

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Mine eat so many that their eggs should be tomato flavored. They love this time of year, I'm making salsa like crazy and all the trimmings go to the birds. Cept the onion peels, they didn't eat them so they just go to the compost.

9. TommyDaDelaware

Aug 24, 2012
    Central WI.
    Mine just got their first taste of Tomatoes tonight! Tommy the delaware cockerel decided to run around with a large, split cherry tomato in his mouth, peeping. LOL! The others were chasing him. He got under the truck, held it down WITH HIS FOOT, and proceeded to peck and eat it... LOL!

10. humphrey farms

humphrey farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2012
    Naples Maine
    Our flock love the cherry tomatoes! Just the right size!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by