Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Backyardighens, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Backyardighens

Backyardighens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    Maine
    Will tomatoes cause the chickens poops to be different at all? Like possibly red or runny?

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Chickens eat tomatoes and it is not a problem.

Are you just feeding leftovers to your chickens? I was just wondering why you are giving tomatoes to your chickens.

3. Backyardighens

Aug 2, 2013
    Maine
    Yup, just leftovers

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've never noticed any difference. I've fed my birds lots and lots of salsa scraps--tomatoes, peppers and onions-- and just lots of leftovers from processing tomatoes.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I feed my chickens tomatoes that have gotten attacked by insects/getting mushy (but not rotten). I have not noticed any difference in the droppings after feeding tomatoes to them.

6. chrispbrown27

chrispbrown27 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2013
    My birds have eaten a TON of tomatoes this year. I put out 75 tomato plants this year and I process a lot of them for spaghetti sauce, salsa and chili starter. The chickens get all of the scraps when I am done processing them. Also, when I am picking any that are beginning to rot or have been partially eaten by bugs get tossed out to the birds when they are free ranging. They have learned to wait for the tomatoes to come flying out of the garden when I am picking and they immediately jump on them and when I bring out the bucket after processing a batch they go crazy. As far as the poop goes, I have not noticed a change but then again I don't really look for it.
    Chris

7. Backyardighens

Aug 2, 2013
    Maine
    Thanks for the replies! I don't think it's any cause for concern at this point, I fed them the tomatoes almost a week ago, there were some red poops in the coop the next morning, and now like 4 days later they're all acting normal and pooping normal. They're even fighting over popcorn, I threw them more than enough to go around :p

8. kbh82310

kbh82310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    Nc
    I bought a 6 lb basket of cherry tomatoes for my chickens and husband to split (I can't stand tomatoes unless its in ketchup form) and stick the ones in the freezer for the chickens and give them some everyday to help cool them off and they haven't really had runny poo. Besides scrambled eggs and squash frozen tomatoes are their favorite treat. They have to be frozen tho.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by