tomatoes

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hawkly88, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Hawkly88

Hawkly88 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2013
    I know chickens eat red tomatoes. But what about green tomatoes. Within the next few weeks I will be pulling my tomato plants and letting the chickens in the garden area to clean it up for me and there may be a couple of green tomatoes that I may miss. I don't want the chicks to get sick

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I don't know so don't go by me but I don't think it would hurt them...not even sure if they would eat them.

3. lesgo54

lesgo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    spencer, tn
    I'm not sure. My birds eat ripe maters. But I've never seem them eat the green ones

4. LOLchick

LOLchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    California
    I've seen mine eat some of the green ones - at least one, and didn't notice any ill effects.

5. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    My chickens will eat tomato plants, leaves, green or red fruit, and suckers down to the stems. They have always done this without ill effect for the past 2.5 years.

Chris

6. happyhens1972

happyhens1972 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    green tomatoes are fine but tomato plant leaves are toxic....killed my cockerel in a few hours [​IMG]

7. Poulet Mama

Poulet Mama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2013
    Northeast Kansas
    The only part of a tomato plant that is non-toxic is the ripe fruit. If they ingest any part of the rest of the plant in large quantities it can cause death, including the unripe fruit. Same with potato plants and green potatoes as well as tobacco. They are in the nightshade family and cause nervous system problems.

8. CHICKENJOHN42

CHICKENJOHN42 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    Well I shore am glad green maters don't hurt peeps ,I love fried green maters yum,yum,.[​IMG]

9. Poulet Mama

Poulet Mama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2013
    Northeast Kansas
    That's not quite what I said - green tomatoes are what I mean when I say unripe fruit. By all means cook them for yourself, though. Yum indeed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by