Tomorrow is a week since dog attack... HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by marench, Mar 12, 2015.

1. marench

marench New Egg

Mar 12, 2015
    Mama chicken was attacked by a dog. Wounds are not too bad compared to some of the pics I've seen of wounded chicks on here. I have been putting neosporin on the wound, but it's the pain relief kind. I've seen several times NOT to use pain relief and am wondering if that is why she doesn't want to eat or drink. She seems worse each day. She won't even eat live king worms. Tonight I had to open her beak to get water and dried worms in her. Yesterday I also changed from neosporin to silvaden cream. I was just at Tractor supply and the guy new nothing about something to help an injured chicken. Must have been new. I work all day tomorrow. So, in the meantime... tonight if anyone reads this, what should i do in the morning? I'll go back to tractor supply in next town over again tomorrow in the afternoon to get Ve... spray. Thanks for any help

2. marench

marench New Egg

Mar 12, 2015
    I bought the iodine and the regular antibiotic ointment. I brought her in the house and tried to take the silvaden cream I put on yesterday off so I could get rid of any ointment with pain relief out of the wound. The silvaden actually acted like a scab and underneath it's healed already where her skin was torn. The puncture from the tooth also looks good. It's healing; but I couldn't get all of the cream out... I didn't want to push and hurt her. At this point, I'm thinking whatever ointment I put on her on Tuesday night is absorbed hopefully. I did rub some new ointment that doesn't have the pain relief on top of her wounds. The thing is she isn't wanting to eat and drink. I'm having to open her beak and give her liquid and sometimes when I dip her beak she'll drink. She won't even touch the live king worms she loves. Is this how they act from the poisoning? What do I do? Thank you in advance.

3. marench

marench New Egg

Mar 12, 2015
    I just read a post on a different thread by "fried green eggs chicken obsesses" and she said that neosporin with pramoxine was ok. That is what I have, so, I haven't poisoned her. She should be better. Any ideas?

4. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

Well, like you said, you don't want to use any cream with the pain relief. Although, you can give baby asprin to your bird if you feel like it is in pain. I would probably give half in the morning and half in the evening, but if the wound isn't large, or the damage extensive, she likely doesn't need it. It may even keep her somewhat sedated or cause the wounds to keep bleeding, so I wouldn't give asprin unless bleeding is stopped and bird truly looks in pain (eyes closed).
    What she does need is a warm, semi dark, quiet place to get over the stress of the whole ordeal. Leave her some tempting food like mashed hard boiled egg and some water. Dip her beak or use a syringe to put drops in her mouth and try to keep her hydrated. I'd give her a day or two and then see if her interest in eating and drinking picks up. Usually, they just need time to overcome the stress and then interest should pick up. My hen that was attacked by a hawk took a couple of days to come around before she ate.
    You do need to watch for infection in the wounds and if they look infected, you should start her on an antibiotic like PenG.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by