Tomorrow is Hatch Day

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dekel18042, Jan 23, 2014.

1. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Tomorrow is my first hatch day. 10 eggs were set. 10 made it into lockdown. Wonder how many will hatch?
    Meanwhile at the supermarket today I noticed they carried extra large FERTILE brown eggs. From what? Production reds? Isa Browns? Buff comets?
    When this hatch is over I'm tempted to get a dozen eggs and see what happens. Think any will hatch? Tell me this is a crazy idea....
    The only reason I thought of this is one of the eggs I set had been in the refrigerator. I pulled it out and put it in the incubator as sort of a test egg to compare at first candling to the rest, and that one is growing too.
    Now to see if it hatches. My egg shells are much harder than the shells of supermarket eggs. I'm convinced the chicks will have a difficult time getting out...

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Hows it going, do you have any chicks yet?

Hatching the store eggs isn't such a crazy idea. I have a fridge egg in my bator right now and have hatched them before. There's also a couple of threads dedicated to hatching store eggs [​IMG]

3. dekel18042

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    So far this morning I have at least five "bumps" and one hole and can hear chirping on and off. How long should this take?
    I did have one egg that I had put in the refrigerator and then took out a day or two later it was such a pretty egg, and that one was developing, too.
    Right now I'm a Nervous Nellie.

4. The Farm

The Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    It can take up to 5 hour from the time to egg cracks to the final braking out.
    I think thats how they did for me. Any one else???

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    It can take 24 hours + from pip to zip. Sometimes they can pip and then hatch a half an hour later. Some take more than a whole day [​IMG]

6. dekel18042

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    So far five are out and we have more zips.
    It is exactly 21 days to the hour that we set the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by