Tomorrow is the big day!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickeninthemeadow, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Chickeninthemeadow

Chickeninthemeadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Tomorrow my 5 year old and I will venture to a town an hour away and pick up our chicks! He is so excited (as am I). We've got the food (50 lbs of Nutrena chicken starter feed), the water bin, the food trough, the lamp all set up in the garage. All I have to do is put the food, water, and chicks in. We even got the vitamins that we may or may not use (haven't decided yet).

I still need to put a lid on the brooder and install the perches for the birds. I'm still trying to regulate the temperature (the 250 watt bulb was WAY too hot, got a 125 but I worry cause it ain't red). It's all starting to come together though and in less than 24 hours, I will have added a dozen baby chicks to the things I am responsible for caring for.

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Congratulations! Be sure to post pictures when they arrive! [​IMG]

3. TommyM

TommyM Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    We pick up my grand-daughters tomorrow,there 4-h chicks,25 red sex links.everything is ready we hope.This will be the first chicken raising for both of us

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    [​IMG] Congrats! Be sure to take a lot of pictures because they grow faster then you think!!!!

5. Chickeninthemeadow

Mar 24, 2011
    Well, they are here. My two kids are enthralled about them. Here are some pics. We got 6 Buff Orpingtons and 6 Speckled Sussex.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    this is my fave pic, two buff orpingtons snuggling

[​IMG]

6. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Wow! Your chicks are too cute and love the orpingtons and sussexes! [​IMG] What a great set up-enjoy them![​IMG]

7. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Oh my heck! So cute ^^ [​IMG]

8. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Congrats! [​IMG]

You will absolutley love both breeds, our BO's are such lap chickens and the Speckled Sussex are stunning birds, they are the cutest little buggers too!

9. smcjoj3

smcjoj3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2011
    Rocky Point NC
    Ah! they look awesome! Congrats! - I am jealous, we went to get our first chicks this morning from the feed store & there shipment never came! I am living vicariously through your pictures! thanks for posting.

10. Chickeninthemeadow

Mar 24, 2011
    Quote:Sorry to hear they hadn't come in yet. Hopefully tomorrow the fuzzy butts will arrive and they will all be healthy and happily chirping for you to take them home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by