Tomorrow is the big day..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickmchickie, Aug 11, 2011.

1. chickmchickie

chickmchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    I get my 25 Araucanas/Americanas .. the first batch of 27 are in the coop now.. in the play pen out there and they are happy babies too.. and the pool is all set up for the next batch of 25.. i didn't get the free exotic check this time.. dont want to worry about if its a roo or not.. like i am this time..

I spoke with Kim at MM hatchery and i sent her some photos of my one chick she said maybe she can find out what he or she is.. His comb isn't changing like my girls are they are already starting to get a hint of red on them.. i thought roos got red before pullets?.. so i been so confused over this bird for 4 weeks now...

my RIR.. New Hamp .. BS.. and black aus.. are all bigger then this one.. so i have no clue..

but i am so excited to have babies again.. with this batch of 25 i will have 52 total..

2. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    congratrz and good luck with the new delivery

3. chickmchickie

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    The males will change to red on the comb first before girls is that correct? or do some breeds of males go red last.. cause my girls are changing and he isn't.. well i call him he but i have no idea what it is hahaha

4. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Just got mine today. We can play chickies together. hehe........I am loving mine. So darn sweet!

5. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Quote:It is correct that cockerel combs turn red earlier than pullets, but their development differs by breed. Some breeds develop faster than others, so compare your rooster to other roosters of the same breed. [​IMG] Have fun with your chicks and be sure to post pictures when your new ones arrive! [​IMG]

6. chickmchickie

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    I have no idea what he or she is... altho i now know 5 people who got their free chick from MM al of them have pullets.. so it isnt always males they give out..

i posted pics on here in another thread, so maybe someone will knwo what i have that way i can compare..

thank you so much for your posts

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by