Tomorrow's the big day! What'd you think?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by USMCwifey, May 17, 2011.

1. USMCwifey

USMCwifey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    WNY
    My Pekins are now 4 weeks old! They have most all their adult feathers and hubby and I have decided it's time to move them outside! Here's my plans for them... does it sound good to ya'll??? [​IMG]

- First week they will be kept in a run around the coop for their protection while they adjust to their new home
    - Once free ranging I will give them fresh water in the morning and let them free range and nibble on insects, ect. all day.
    - When it's time to round them up I'm gonna re-fresh their water bucket and also give them their duck food. ( will it be ok that I only feed them in the evening? I heard it can get them to come inside easier. )
    - At night they will be locked up in their coop until the next morning when I do it all over again! <3
    - We're also gonna hook up heat lamp out there since the nights have been cooler, I'll be able to turn it on or off when need from the house.

Everything sounds good, or should I change something?

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Feeding once a day may make them easier to get into the safe coop at night, but right now they are still growing and will need the extra nutrients the pellets or crumble can give them. Also especially in the winter months when there is not so much to forage it wont be enough for them.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Sounds good to me Have the been eating greens already? You might have to sprinkle feed in the grass to get them to root around and eat things not familiar to them.

4. USMCwifey

Apr 11, 2011
    WNY
    Quote:So should I feed them half a bucket in the morning, than a full bucket at night? Does that sound better?

5. USMCwifey

Apr 11, 2011
    WNY
    Quote:They've been taking field trips outside the last week or two, so yeah. They like pick at everything on the ground. LoL

6. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    You should feed them their biggest meal at night with treats as this will encourage them to forage more during the day and make them excited to come in at night because they will know easy food and treats are waiting for them at the end of every day!!

7. USMCwifey

Apr 11, 2011
    WNY
    Quote:ok, thanks! I'll just sprinkle some duck feed near the hut in the morning, than bring out the full bucket at night. Our pond is also stocked with feeder fish so they might be able to catch some of them for a nice snack as well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by