Tomorrows the BIG day!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mammachick, Oct 15, 2009.

1. mammachick

mammachick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2009
    Hi! Tomorrow we are going to get our first ever baby chicks! We are so excited, :)we have 3 little kids ages 3,3 and 4!

We will be getting 6 and giving away 3 to my grandmother after they get their feathers. I have bought a Rubbermaid container for them to live in for the first month.

We will be building our A-Frame coop over the next few weeks

--I am looking for any advice on the type we should get. They are for egg laying.
    --Can you mix breeds in a coop, or will they fight?

We are having Fall weather, highs in the 70's lows in the 50's. Winter temps are High's in 50's lows in 30's
    --Will they need a heat lamp once they move to their coop?

--Are there diseases that can be passed to humans from the chickens?

Thanks so Much for you help, we are really excited, and my kids can't wait! [​IMG] I'll post pictures tomorrow!

2. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Congrats!For egg laying and docilness Id go for black austrolorps,barred rocks,rirs and leghorns,anconas .They will not fight as long as you have 4sqft per bird inside the coop.You will not need a heat lamp,well maybe the first 2 weeks or so.And as long as you keep them clean and healthy they will not transmit diseases to you I dont think there are any diseases they carry that transmit to you anyways.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by