Tomowa is Butcherin' Day! Newbies

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by MissChessy, Jan 22, 2010.

1. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    [​IMG] Well, tomowa is butcherin' day for us newbies, my husband and I. We are going to butcher 3 7 month old roosters and 1 1 year old rooster. They are very noisy for our neighbors. We live in a rural area, but in town. No complaints from the neighbors, but my husband is kept awake at night as well. I am deaf. Can't hear em'. Don't bother me none. [​IMG]

Any suggestions or helpful hints would be much appreciated from anyone who has done this butcherin'.

2. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I've only butchered chickens once, but I know that it is very important to have the scalding water between 140 - 150 degrees. Good luck!

3. MissChessy

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    My question is this, how long do I keep them in the fridge before freezing them? Do I put them in a pan with cold water into the fridge or just in a pan with no water?

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I would say read, read, read everything you can on the Meaties sub-forum. The other thing that was helpful for me was to look at videos on YouTube of actual processing. I think it is Joel Salatin that has quite a good tutorial on YouTube. I looked at tons of stuff trying to decide which method to use. There are several different ways to go and you'll have to decide which is right for you! I did three the first time (a couple of months ago) and did a fourth just this past Sunday (roasted him last night). To make their lives (and deaths) worthwhile, we use almost every part of the chook, so the other thing I researched was what to do with all the body parts. Some just gets fed back to the chooks or dogs, some gets eaten by us, some gets turned into stock. The end result is that all we throw away are the feathers and the bones (after we've made stock from the bones), and it feels good not to have any waste.

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:24-48 hours completely submerged in water should be enough resting time before freezing.

6. MissChessy

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    I've been doing a lot of reading. Just can't seem to find out if I need to put the chickens in water to let them rest in the fridge after the butchering.

My husband, father-in-law and I are all gonna do it the old fashioned way. Scald, pluck and clean the guts out all by our own hands.

7. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I did keep mine in ice water in coolers (I'm sure totes would work, too) out in my garage for 48 hours. I did not brine them -- just water and ice. Although, my regular well water that I used may contain enough salt to be considered brine. [​IMG]

8. petrelline

petrelline Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Los Gatos, CA
    I put mine in cold water for just a short time between plucking and evisceration, to hold them while I'm working and cool them down a bit. After I'm done cleaning and packing all the chickens they just sit in the fridge for a day or so before I pop them into the freezer. No more water baths.

I've never brined any of my chickens and they all come out just fine. 16-24 week heritage roosters.

9. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I brine mine for 24 hours after butcher before freezing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by