Toms age to be fertile for mating . . .

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by glassparman, Dec 17, 2009.

1. glassparman

glassparman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Mojave, CA
    OK, I have a Tom and Hen that are Royal Palm Turkeys.

They both will be 2 years old next May.

My question is this: I have seen them successfully mate many times over the last year but have never had a fertile egg. I'm tired of putting un-fertile eggs in the incubator and wasting my time. - What is the age that a Royal Palm Tom is fertile?

Thanks,
    Michael

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

They can be fertile at 9 months-ish. You have hatched other eggs in your incubator i'm assuming? For turkey eggs 99.5 to 100F for a forced air. You could have sterile tom or hen. Have you ever cracked an egg open and looked for the "bullseye'? Here is what to look for https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008 If you know somebody near you that has turkeys you could "borrow" a tom and have him mate with your hen so you can tell if she is fertile or not.

Steve in NC

3. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Steve's dead on there, at 9-12 months both sexes are fertile, produce best from 1-3 years of age. Did you get them as poults or adults?

4. glassparman

Jun 23, 2008
    Mojave, CA
    I got both of them at 1 week old in May of '08. I tried to incubate eggs four times over the summer totaling about 5 dozen eggs and never had one develop in the incubator.

My incubator is good as I just hatched out some chickens.

I have seen the TOM doing his job, I watched to see that he completes the job and makes contact. I believe they came from a local ranch somewhere here in the Lancaster/Palmdale area of Southern California. I guess I could always try artificial insemination????

I don't know anyone that has a Tom I can borrow. I guess I could just look for another pair for next spring.

Michael

5. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    That's odd as they should be doing it just fine at that age, especially since you know for sure they are only 2... I guess the tom could be sterile??

6. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:I would say One of them is sterile. Doing AI, will not help, if Tom is doing as he should, if one half is not working right, doesnt matter how the process is completed you still will come up with infertile eggs.

7. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    true!

8. glassparman

Jun 23, 2008
    Mojave, CA
    I just thought AI in case his "aim" is not very good. I guess you are right, I have watched them because I was concerned and it seem as if they made contact.

Is sterility common or is it something that just happens sometimes?

Anyone have a Royal Palm Tom in Southern California they want to loan out next spring? LOL

Michael

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by