Toms fighting

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Stephanie-hall, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Stephanie-hall

Stephanie-hall Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    Sacramento
    I have two toms they are almost 2 years old, they aren't the genetic best they are just pets, and within 2 days they've gotten into 3 fights. What do I do apart from seperating them 24/7? [​IMG]

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Just the toms, no hens? If so, let `em at it (if they have sufficient room to get away from each other when one of the two concedes). Fall coming on is pretty much Spring in Reverse (turkey hormones rising - but not as much as during mating season) so sparring will be the order of the day. The loser will mope off, snood dragging the ground, beak bit and abraded, but he is only mulling about how to best the Alpha in late Feb.-Apr.

If run is small and there are hens I'd keep an eye on them. The hens can sometimes gang up on the losing tom and do some damage.

All of ours (toms and hens and soon to be jakes and jennies) were wound up the day before yesterday when the sun came out and the temp. went up (flock of 28 Wild Easterns hanging around - in woods but visible from runs - didn't help). Today they are all `friends'.

We've alway abraded tips of spurs from our toms so accidental, serious, lacerations are unlikely. We've also resorted to pine tar (slathered on heads/caruncles - not above eyes) that slows them down and disinfects wounds. Sometimes, just leaving one tom outside the fence and one inside will allow them to chortle and nip - but prevents neck wrapping knock-down-drag-outs. 48-72 hrs of this sort of separation - in the Fall - will usually leave them tolerating one another's presence.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  3. Stephanie-hall

Sep 27, 2011
    Sacramento
    We picked them out from a straight run clutch when they were chicks, thought we got one Tom and one hen but nope two toms. They can't jump at eachother they are two heavy so it's all beak damage my only concern with letting them duke it out is the lower ranking Tom has bad leg had it since we got him, we lovingly call him gimpy cuz he wasn't as fluffy when he grew up, Rex the alpha turkey will continue after him until I go out and break it up. Other than just seperating them or letting them keep fighting till one drops and have to dig a really big hole.

4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Broad Breasted or heritage? Not that it matters. If I had a tom of either variety with a bad leg he'd have his own digs (raised a BBB jake with spaddle leg - thought he was in pretty good shape at 4mo., then he decided to fly off the back deck - did great until he landed - Never again).

Best of luck to you and Gimpy. You should only have to separate until they quit the trilling and chest butting. Short memories, i.e., when the fab foam of testosterone dissipates with the changing angle of the sun.

5. Stephanie-hall

Sep 27, 2011
    Sacramento
    I think they are heritage but I'm not sure. The only difference between the wild toms I've seen and our big boys are that ours make the wild ones look way under fed. Well at least it's not going to be super bad. I just have to remember to keep an eye on them and the sun. Thank you so much for your advice I apriciate it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by