1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tonight is my babies first night in the coop!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by srfjeld, Jul 6, 2011.

1. srfjeld

srfjeld Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    Four of my girls are sleeping outside tonight for the first time! I let them out to free range for a bit and then put their food and water in the hen house. When they went back in the run I grabbed one at a time and put them up in the coop. Once they were all in I peeked in their little window and they seemed confused. Like I was going to come and let them out at any moment. They had been sleeping in their brooder with the lights out for about a week now so they are definitely used to the dark. I hope this goes well. I'm expecting it will take a few days of placing them in their myself before they'll go up on their own. I have the 2 new girls still in the brooder. We're working on the integration process with those two. I'm an idiot for getting more b/c the four originals do so well together. I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. [​IMG]

2. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Ah, I know how you feel. I was so tempted to camp out by the coop their first night! As it was I only woke up about five times [​IMG]

3. srfjeld

srfjeld Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    I was just in my living room thinking I heard peeping and chortling sounds... the girls inside are sound asleep and I didn't hear anything outside, either. Guess it's just my mind playing tricks on me. I really hope we built Fort Knox out there.

4. ajay

ajay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    It's so exciting, isn't it? I hope it all goes well for you.

When we moved our 4 out to the coop, I kept them in the coop for 3 days full time. When I let them out again, they put themselves to bed on their own. It's fantastic and so cute to see them all walk in a straight line to the coop, up the ramp and onto the roost for bed. All I do, is lock the coop up at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by