Tonight is my babies first night in the coop!

srfjeld

Chirping
8 Years
May 13, 2011
Portland
Four of my girls are sleeping outside tonight for the first time! I let them out to free range for a bit and then put their food and water in the hen house. When they went back in the run I grabbed one at a time and put them up in the coop. Once they were all in I peeked in their little window and they seemed confused. Like I was going to come and let them out at any moment. They had been sleeping in their brooder with the lights out for about a week now so they are definitely used to the dark. I hope this goes well. I'm expecting it will take a few days of placing them in their myself before they'll go up on their own. I have the 2 new girls still in the brooder. We're working on the integration process with those two. I'm an idiot for getting more b/c the four originals do so well together. I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.
smile.png

Ah, I know how you feel. I was so tempted to camp out by the coop their first night! As it was I only woke up about five times
smile.png

I was just in my living room thinking I heard peeping and chortling sounds... the girls inside are sound asleep and I didn't hear anything outside, either. Guess it's just my mind playing tricks on me. I really hope we built Fort Knox out there.

It's so exciting, isn't it? I hope it all goes well for you.

When we moved our 4 out to the coop, I kept them in the coop for 3 days full time. When I let them out again, they put themselves to bed on their own. It's fantastic and so cute to see them all walk in a straight line to the coop, up the ramp and onto the roost for bed. All I do, is lock the coop up at night.

Back
Top Bottom