Tonight is the night (updated bator story...post 4)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by addicted2chicks, May 18, 2009.

1. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    We are now on day 18 so tonight is lockdown after I remove the turner and do a quick candling. I keep thinking there is no way anything is going to hatch from those eggs. I am nervous and scared and excited...all over these little eggs that may or may not hatch little cute chickies.
    Well here goes....[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  2. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    [​IMG]:fl [​IMG]:fl [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Sending good vibes, & hoping for the best hatch ever.[​IMG]

3. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    [​IMG] hummmmunaaaaa [​IMG] Vibes sent! May all your chicky's get fluffy!

4. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Very few people would understand this dilemma but I know my fellow chick friends will. Sorry this is going to be long but I just wanted to share. I had gotten my Brinsea incubator last week and also bought 24 eggs, 12 chicks and 12 duck eggs. The Brinsea only holds 24 chick eggs and I hoped that I would be able to fit all 24 eggs in beings half would be bigger as duck eggs. So my eggs came last week and there were 2 extra chick eggs so I was a bit worried at first but then one duck egg was cracked so I threw it out. So that left me with 25 eggs, I was able to fit 24 in and had 1 extra. So what did I do? I stuck the extra egg in with my others that were already 2 1/2 weeks in incubation in my LG. I didn't know what I would do with that extra egg when it came time to stop turning the eggs in the LG but thought I would figure it out when the time came. Well, today was the day. I candled the eggs in the Brinsea but it is only day 4 so couldn't really tell which weren't going to develop yet. I got my extra egg out of the LG and set it between my eggs in my Brinsea but problem is that with the turner that egg would of rolled around. So I unplugged the turner while I got my LG eggs set to hatch. Which I did, got my sponges in case extra humidity is needed and filled all the water things in the bottom and set the non slip shelf liner in and put my eggs on. So then I had to go back to the Brinsea. I took the top off and yuck, I could smell an egg. So I smelled each egg and found the culprit and pulled it out, Waalaa, all my eggs now fit. I think I didn't smell it the first time because I was trying to get back to the LG to get things going and my mind was set on that. I hope I didn't disturb those eggs too much today, but I didn't want to lose that 1 egg just in case it was a good one, if it has a chance I wanted to give it that chance. I won't touch them anymore except for when I pull the chick eggs out and put into the hatcher.

5. pattyjean73

pattyjean73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    NW Arkansas
    Sending good hatching luck your way!

6. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Now that was a mouth full.[​IMG] I'm glad you got it all worked out.I would of hated to leave it out too. Sounds like a plan. good luck with your hatch.

7. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    I recomend a good glass of wine or maybe 2 fingers of your favorite beverage. Good Luck !

8. chickie_mama

chickie_mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Lula, GA
    I had some eggs that needed to go into the bator and didn't have the extra room, so I set them along the side of my turner and turned them by hand until I had moved some of the eggs into the hatcher.

9. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    Quote:I too have done this figuring there is always atleast one or two that don't make it to the hatcher.

10. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I think I have lost it...... [​IMG]
    I had visions of an egg snuggled down inside a bra for a day or two....the worst part is I am sure I would have done it!!!!!!!!!!!

So glad you found an easier solution....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by