Tonight is the night!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BirdsInParadise, Jun 13, 2016.

1. BirdsInParadise

BirdsInParadise Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    First overnight stay tonight.

Hope all goes well...
    [​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]hope they transition to the new home quickly!

3. BirdsInParadise

May 9, 2016
    Me too!
    They have been spending a lot of time in their run for the past 2 weeks. And they LOVE it.
    Im a bit nervous to leave them out overnight.

Time will tell.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Have they ever been inside their coop? Chicks don't automatically know they are supposed to go inside the coop at night since it looks much different to them from outside than inside. You may need to teach them.

5. BirdsInParadise

May 9, 2016
    I put them in their coop thos morning and coaxed them down their little ladder thingy with watermelon bits. I had to physically put them in the coop tonight. Im guessing it will take a few days for them to get their new routine down.

(FINGERS CROSSED)

6. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Mines going in by themselves now. Its been 3 days! I have 10 . 7 barred rocks,1 laced Wyandotte, 1 penciled rock, 1 buff orpington and a 5 year old silkie i carry to the coop because shes too small for the latter.i got very blessed. Mine the pullets caught on right away!

7. BirdsInParadise

May 9, 2016
    "... a 5 year old silkie i carry to the coop because shes too small for the latter."

Oh no!
    Do Silkies have a problen climbing the ladder thingies? Mine isnt very steep.

8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California

Yes they do. I just sadly lost her 5 year old sister yesterday , but i carried Both girls in and out. They had a smaller coop just to themselves but after i lost the other silkie i intergrated my last silkie into my large coop. Neither could climb the small coops latter and surely cant climb the large coops.i felt so bad because everyone went to bed in the large coop but there sat my poor silkie all alone so im carring her in and out. Bless her heart. Im going to use the small coop for another laying area. I didnt want her alone. She loved her sister silkie so much and my heart breaks that we lost her. I just hope penny does well with the others. So far she holds her own and demands respect with a swift peck. Its funny because shes so tiny compared to the others! But she still gets them running from her!!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  9. BirdsInParadise

May 9, 2016
    Sorry to here about your bird. That's sad.

Im HOPING my birds learn to use the ladder thingy.
    When i opened the door to their coop this morning
    they ran down it with no problems.
    Maybe they will learn to go up also...
    Time will tell.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by