Tonight will be their first night!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sheltiepawz, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Sheltiepawz

Sheltiepawz Songster

Sep 16, 2019
    Deep South Louisiana
    We are finally seeing the light of day on the coop! The chicks are 5 weeks old today. We still have trim to do, nest boxes to build, some more ventilation windows to add( might wait for spring for that), but I think they can start staying full time out there now! My husband had an oopsie on the door opening. You can’t see it when the door is open, but it is driving me a little nuts lol! Running to get ramp supplies now, right now it’s a slide :rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Attached Files:

ValerieJ likes this.
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Crossing the Road

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    double post.

ValerieJ likes this.
  3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Crossing the Road

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It looks nice. Yes, the ramp needs cleats and perhaps even wider and longer so the slope isn't so steep. I guess those windows will stay open around the clock. If so, that may be sufficient ventilation. If the windows are on the east wall, even better. That will get the morning light into the building - extending the day.

ValerieJ likes this.
  4. Sheltiepawz

Sheltiepawz Songster

Sep 16, 2019
    Deep South Louisiana
    Yes it does face east. We will be building windows, but they will mostly act as an awning for rain and will hardly ever be closed. I just got back with my new board ramp. My husband attached that one without asking lol. I got a wider board and eye hooks to make it removable. There will be rungs on it also.

aart, rosemarythyme and ChickenCanoe like this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Nice Run!!

Roost looks a bit high inside(half way up the window?).
    What's wrong with the door?
    Can put a concrete block(16" high) at low end of ramp.

Sheltiepawz and ChickenCanoe like this.
  6. Sheltiepawz

Sheltiepawz Songster

Sep 16, 2019
    Deep South Louisiana
    I was wondering if it was to high. It is 2 feet from floor. How high should it be?

he just made the door opening to big. They he had to patch a piece of wood in there because we were out of siding to redo it.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sheltiepawz likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: