Tonight's the night!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AdkChiksNRoos, Jul 1, 2016.

1. AdkChiksNRoos

AdkChiksNRoos Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2016
    Ballston Spa N.Y
    We have finally completed the construction of our new coop.. tonight will be the flocks first night in it. We're excited and nervous at the same time. It's our first time moving our flock to a new coop. But I'm sure it'll be an easy transition. Anyway. I promised some pictures and updates. We have completed the project today minus the treadle feeder which I am building sometime this week. For now the plastic one will suffice. We added an automated pop door on a timer. Opening shortly after dawn and closing at dusk. I've timed the flock everyday for the last two months. Their all in the coop and on their roosts by 9 pm. They are like clockwork... Sundown this time of year is around 8:40 pm. So plenty of time before the door closes for the night. Plus I'll be checking on them shortly after. We also added an automated drinking system with left over pvc from another project. We used baskets set in the corner as nesting boxes. We coated the inside with rubber roof coating for easy cleanup. The roosts are set in the opposite corner. They are 2x3's with the wide side facing up and pollyd for cleanup. We have a few bantams and younger hens so we opted for the 2x3 vs 2x4. I built a dustbath inside the coop with the hopes of them preferring that over my lawn. I have about three holes as of now that they created. That's really about it minus design details. Here are a few pictures. Thanks for looking. :) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  2. AdkChiksNRoos

Jun 9, 2016
    Ballston Spa N.Y
    All in for the night!! Easy except for one Roo.. hopefully tomorrow night will be the same if not better..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    You have a beautiful coop and flock, thanks for sharing.

But will bet you they much prefer to dust bathe in your yard [​IMG]

4. AdkChiksNRoos

Jun 9, 2016
    Ballston Spa N.Y
    Thank you sunflour. Yes. So far they have not touched it.. worth a shot though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by