Tons of Incorrectly Positioned Eggs?

Lilorp14

Songster
8 Years
Sep 26, 2014
VA
So we had 22 eggs in the incubator. All of them hatched on time and did a great job, except 8. There was one thing that really is confusing to me though. My mother bought a dozen Vorwerk hatching eggs from a breeder near us. All 12 made it to day 3, 11 made it to lockdown. 3 hatched. 3 pipped on the opposite side of the egg (pointy end). They died. We opened up the 3 that pipped and the five others and they were all head under right wing, just on the opposite side of the egg than they should have been. I'm assuming that the five that didn't pip died of lack of oxygen. I took the Turner out on day 18 as planned and none of the other chicks had trouble hatching, in fact this is the best hatch we've ever had, even though it's roughly only 63%. What could have possibly caused the chicks to be positioned so poorly? Is it just one of those freak things that happen?

Last edited:
I've had quite a few eggs hatch just fine from the wrong end of the egg. I can't be sure, but when they don't turn or fail to hatch after pipping, if everything else seems fine I tend to attribute it to weakness and lack of vigor.

I've had quite a few eggs hatch just fine from the wrong end of the egg. I can't be sure, but when they don't turn or fail to hatch after pipping, if everything else seems fine I tend to attribute it to weakness and lack of vigor.
The breeder got his stock from Green fire and ice heard they are not very vigorous...

It sounds like they might have gotten somewhat shrink wrapped, and couldn't turn easily to position themselves in the egg.
After lockdown I didn't open the incubator until day 25. I dry hatched and since every single other egg hatched without a hitch it doesn't really make sense to me that it would affect the Vorwerks alone....

Back
Top Bottom