Tons Of Questions

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ThePRfan, Dec 29, 2014.

1. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    This questions need answered I meediatly.

I have a molting bird.(Well I think.)She seems fine,but I have saw 2 hens pick at her chess.She does have a hard molt going on causing blood.
    What's going on?My coop is about 6 or 8 feet long,and I have tons of things my birds roost on.

I am not a expert on the chest.My chickens get grit,every time I can get it.Well about a few months ago,I gave them a lil under a half a bag.They swallow fine,I think.
    My problem is Little red has a hard chest.Is it feeding them too much?They get 1 scoop of food,and free range,everyday.

Nobody answers my questions about my Turkey and pegion sounds.
    My NHR's make pegion sounds,but this isn't odd,they've done it ever since chicks.
    My PR,makes turkey sounds,and it's unusual.Any ideals?

-ThePRfan

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I don't know about the pigeon sounds? But I have noticed when mine eat the fermented feed fast, they get kind of squeaky, like they have temporarily lost their voice.

As for the molting to blood, that does not sound like a molt to me, it could be a possible pecking problem? Pecking problems can be a sign of overcrowding. How many chickens are in what measurements.

Mrs K

3. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    i agree, molting does not involve blood.

If the other chickens are pecking at the hen, and causing blood, you could have a serious problem. Chickens going after blood can literally kill. There is a product called blue kote - you spray it on the wound, it does two things: changes the color to purple because chickens peck at red, and it has some antiseptic qualities.

Make sure your chickens have something in the way to hide from each other like a box, a hay bale, etc and find some pecking targets. That means, things to peck at besides each other. That can be scratch thrown on the coop litter, a flock block, apples, a cabbage, etc.

Read about minimun space requirements - is there enough?

About the hard chest: Do you mean the crop? A big bulge? Should be tight and full at night, and soft and empty in the morning.

Your chickens need grit, unless they are eating processed pellets or crumbles. If they eat grains, corn, etc, they need grit. They can get grit from dirt, sand, or granite chips (grit) sold at the feed store.

Chickens make all kinds of noises - but I don't know much about pigeon noises....

4. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Your signature says there are 20 birds in the flock, and your coop is 6-8 feet by how many feet? It sounds like a feather picking issue which is usually caused by too many chickens in not enough space.

Also, the ideal coop has enough room for all the birds to sit on one roost at the same level. This helps reduce pecking order stresses. If you have tiered roosts AND not enough room, that could be part of the problem. The tiered roosts isn't usually a problem in and of itself, but it can add to the stress of the birds a bit.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Molting can be bloody...well, when the new pin feathers start growing in they are filled with blood and if they get pecked or broken somehow there will be blood.

As long as it's not severe bleeding, or keeps getting pecked, at just leave it be.

I had a cockerel this summer who's new tail feathers got pecked, one pin feather would not stop bleeding (even with stop powder) so I had to pluck it out.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  6. ThePRfan

Sep 27, 2014
    I hsvr her in a penShe seens much happier.
    Also my rir ran up and pecked her butt

7. ThePRfan

Sep 27, 2014
    Also isnt there the hard molt?Isnt that what causes some bloof.

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    No. In a hard molt, the chicken has bare patches. Some of them look like they're ready for the meat case, being almost totally naked! I've never seen a drop of blood in any molt. If you have a feather picker in your flock, they may be picking the pin feathers, which could cause some bleeding. If you have feather pickers, they need to be culled IMO. A crowded flock is much more likely to have this habit.

9. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Feathers are something like 80% protein and chickens have been known to eat them if they are low on protein. If you have feather pickers they might be needing more protein. If you are feeding them 16% layer feed and feeding a lot of scratch, low protein kitchen scraps or anything else low protein, they may not be getting enough protein. Or, as lazy gardener said, you flock may be overcrowded, or both overcrowded and too little protein.

10. ThePRfan

Sep 27, 2014
    From prevoius times,I have had this problem with PRS.
    Their either too nice,and get nullied.

I usure thats she molting.But since her chest is veing exposed,they tend to wanba peck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by