Tony Snow died of cancer(totally non-political)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by max13077, Jul 12, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

The guy was 53 years old. People even younger die from cancer every day. Why aren’t we dumping tons more money than we are into searching for a cure for this retched disease?

Not to rock the boat but we have so much fruitlessly spent money in the country it isn’t even funny. Money that could much better benefit mankind itself, not just us in this country. Example, think about this, we paid a team of 25 men $207,108,489.00 to play baseball for one year…. Stop right now and think about that. Do you really comprehend how much two hundred million dollars is? No you don’t. The average person has trouble contemplating what a few thousand dollars is. But yet we pay people 200 mil to play a game. There’s just something not quite right with that. I love baseball. However when you think about it….. Especially when people are dying everyday. We’ve conquered so many other things, why not cancer?

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Tony was a brilliant man and fought his disease with a positive vigor. He worked and was
    doing phone interviews until the very end. What an amazing man.

How we die says almost as much about us as how we live. With so few men
    of character in Washington, on both sides of the aisle, we lost a good one.

Thanks for posting this.

3. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

When you consider that Tony Snow had the best of the best of the best medical care, it‘s disheartening. But like you say Purple chicken, we need formidable people as he was to take on this formidable disease. With more knowledge and practice, I bet we’ll win.

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:Cancer is such a broad term. There is no such thing as cancer as it's really thousands
    of diseases & conditions that they group under "cancer". We have made huge strides
    into cures, treatment and prevention. There are a lot of survivors on this site.

Can more be done? Absolutely! Should more be done? Of course. Your point is
    very well taken about our social priorities. As the Baby Boomers age I believe we
    will see huge strides in cancer treatment. The Boomers are living longer, therefore
    statistically more likely to develop various cancers. They also have deep pockets.

5. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    The chief of Human Resources at my last job went in for his first - totally routine - colonoscopy when he turned 50. He said since it was his job to encourage everyone else to do it, he would set an example. He was found to have full-blown colon cancer. He died two weeks ago, which was two years after his diagnosis.

These "routine" screenings should start at 40 or 45, not 50. Try getting insurance to buy that!

6. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I was very sad when I heard the news this morning. I really liked the guy, he always looked so upbeat it sorta took me by surprise. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by