Too agressive...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Shelanie, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Shelanie

Shelanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Southern California
    When I go out to visit my girls I usually take treats out and sit down and everyone comes and eats outta my hand. I have two girls who act like I have never fed them before and peck so hard they hurt my hands. They have food all the time. Is there anyway to get them to be nicer about it. I had a tiny cut on my hand and one of the girls found it and OMG it hurt so bad! Any ideas about getting them to eat nice?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have a hen like that too, and when she comes up I hold the food between my thumb and forefinger, she takes it that way and barely gets me. I have another one that would as soon fall asleep in my hand!

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I like "debiraymond's" idea. Good idea. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I would make sure the ones that are overly aggressive about being fed have to wait and get fed last...it MIGHT work!

5. Foxhound lady

Foxhound lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    I have one like that and she gets fed with me holding treats between forefinger and thumb otherwise its hurts. Everyone esle gets treats using the horse treat method flat palm.

BTW this the same bird who trys to eat shoelaces and toes.

6. debilorrah

Actually the one that bites is really tame with me. She just doesn;t seem to realize how sharp her beak is.

7. Shelanie

Shelanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Southern California
    My husband jokes that I should resort to the ceasar millan method and grab them by the neck and pin them on the ground so they know you are the dominant one. Ya right. Could you imagine?

8. debilorrah

I don't think is necessary - it isn't a dog. [​IMG] I think holding it out to that hen is the best way really. Mine doesn't know she hurts me, she just does. Now when I do it that way, it's fine. And I am not yelling at her anymore!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by