1. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    I'm having a tiny problem with my dad as he wants to build a coop outside in our backyard and I had told him "The last time we've had chickens in the backyard which was long ago fell prey to Racoons and Possums at night. And they fell prey to loose dogs in the day time and you don't even build a good enough coop or cage that is predator proof as all you do is build a basic cage that isn't predator proof! I don't want to lose a single bird of mine to Racoons, Possums or Dogs! So my flock are staying inside!" After I told him that he said "Ok thats fine, don't worry about it." I'm determined to keep my flock inside the house because of Racoons and Possums as well as dogs can kill them which I'd really hate to lose one bird from my flock [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  2. Becky_H

Becky_H Chillin' With My Peeps

I suggest you work on finding out how to do good predator proofing and go for it. My chickens roost inside at night, in flight cages, but chickens benefit alot from being able graze, dust-bathe, eat bugs and run around. See what you need to go, talk with your dad about predator proofing, and go from there, maybe?

3. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Okay, so when you say in the house, you mean YOUR HOUSE, not a chicken house, not his house. Your House? Hey, why not just help him build a safe predator proof dwelling for your flock. Do you not think they might like to be outdoors? They are chickens. Do you take them outside at all ? Do you take them for walks or what? Are they in a cage 24/7 in the house. Are they happy? Just Get some ideas up for some safe coops, propose some of the ideas to your dad and see what he thinks. Hopefully you can work something out for the sake of the chickens.Just my 2 cents worth.

4. Polish Chickens

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    Quote:LOL! It's my parents house but the chickens are mine and I do take them outside in the backyard but I don't want NO Racoon or Possum to kill a bird of mine so my flock are staying inside the house

5. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Have you considered working on a coop with your Dad? Building projects are such fun. You can do the research and write up basic predator proofing standards to follow. I live in the city with many raccoons, and it is possible to make them pretty predator resistant. But, if you love having your chickens in the house with you, that's fine too. I'm sure that they are good company for you.

6. Polish Chickens

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    Quote:I've been thinking on building a predator proofed coop with my dad but I doubt it'll be a good enough cage with my dad's ideas for building the cage or coop. And yes I'd love to keep my chickens in the house with me as I prefer that for the safety of my flock

7. okiron

okiron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Quote:I've been thinking on building a predator proofed coop with my dad but I doubt it'll be a good enough cage with my dad's ideas for building the cage or coop. And yes I'd love to keep my chickens in the house with me as I prefer that for the safety of my flock

Then build one with him with your own ideas or the ideas of the people on this forum.

8. Polish Chickens

May 9, 2009
    Houston

Then build one with him with your own ideas or the ideas of the people on this forum.

Thank and I will try to build one with my ideas

9. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Polish chickens, You can do it ! I know you can. Its really not that hard, once the idea hits you , especially if it doesn't have to be that big. I don't know how many chickens you have but it can't be that many if you are keeping them in the house. Can it ??? There are several youngsters on here that build their own coops from their own ideas or ideas they get of this site with their own modifications. Just start collecting scraps from whereever you can till you get enough to build your own, YOU CAN DO IT !!!!

10. Polish Chickens

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    Quote:I have 22 Polish chickens which I'm not wanting to lose a single bird to a Racoon or Possum and I haven't come up with any ideas to build a coop that can be predator proofed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by