Too big of a broader?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by laws24, Mar 19, 2012.

1. laws24

laws24 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    I just received my new chicks! Yea! I have 31 and they are in a large kids plastic pool with cardboard around it and a heat lamp but some still seem cold and others fine. They have only been in there just over an hour and all have had water and starting to run and eat. They also seem to pick at each other a lot. Need lots of advice ! Very new to this and don't want to lose anyone. I have 2 smaller ones that seem cold and not sturdy enough to huddle in the bunch to warm up.Any advice is welcome!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    What wattage and type lamp are you using?

IMO there's no such thing as too large of a brooder. I just make sure there's a very warm spot and lots of space to escape the heat.
    You could add a light or lower the one you have to put it closer to them.

3. Othylocke

Othylocke Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2010
    Dothan, AL
    I also think there is no such thing as too large of a brooder. If I still had my kiddie pool...

You should have one side that is under the heat lamp and the other side should have the water and feed. I introduced the roosts between the two. If you have chicks that seem to be too cold, place them under the side with the heat lamp, if they remain cold, then place them closer. I can't say much more than that since my chicks are only 5 days old. Hope those two recover for you.

4. laws24

Apr 29, 2011
    250 watt about 14-15 inches away they seem to want it closer. they are doing pretty good now but still nervous and of course excited!!!

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    use their action as a guide. I'd move it closer if they hover under it.
    You can angle it so it emits across the floor rather than straight down.

6. laws24

Apr 29, 2011
    I just realized my wattage was wrong on the bulb it is 125w is that high enough? they are still pretty close to it and I'm worried they aren't warm enough. one in particular is very loud occasionally. Is that normal? or is he cold?

7. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    If they are peeping loudly and staying near the light, then yes they are probably cold. I would up the wattage.

8. laws24

Apr 29, 2011
    I live pretty rural would they make it ok over night or is it something I should run to town for? I also have another heat lamp same wattage would that work til tomorrow morning??

9. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Yeah, that will be fine. It isn't a huge emergency. Adding the other light may increase the warmth enough that you don't have to buy anything else.

Are they staying near the light at all times or just coming to warm up now and again? Huddling under the light at times is perfectly normal, especially in a bigger brooder. They go play for a while and when they get cold, they go warm back up. However, if they are staying nuder the light all the time, that's different.

10. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    No! Not nuder! UNDER! OMG this is the second time I've done something like that this week! -_-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by