Too big of a comb for a hen???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lovemesomechicks, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Lovemesomechicks

Lovemesomechicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2008
    Dallas
    Someone pointed out that my supposed hen's comb was really big for 20 weeks of age.

I think she is a white leghorn, the sign said Ideal 256 when I bought her...

So the verdict. Is my "she" a "he" ??

[​IMG]

2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] That's some comb! (Pretty chicken though.)

3. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I don't know a lot about Leghorns, but that is "some comb" If would agree that it is too big for a hen.

4. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I think that Leghorn hens tend to have really large combs, although I don't have any myself to compare to yours.

Could you post a full body shot of the bird? It might help in determining the sex.

5. Lovemesomechicks

Mar 13, 2008
    Dallas
    I don't see any of the "spurs" , atleast from pictures I've found online, and he/she doesn't really crow.

And most pictures I have found online, have the hen with the big comb that falls over, and the rooster with the comb standing up.

Still would like more opinions though. Yikes!

6. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Production hens have notoriously big combs. At 20 weeks it's gonna be huge and probably floppy. I'd not assume rooster just because of the comb in that breed. The Ideal 256 is their own probabably trademarked or patented breed of production layer - not a true leghorn, but definately based on leghorn.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  7. Chickaree

Chickaree Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2008
    I have an australorp hen that has a big comb and waddles. We wondered at first if she really was a hen. My husband kept saying, "If it's a roo it should be crowing by now". They are now 21 weeks and she was the first one to start laying. So she has been affectionately called Mrs. Waddles. Don't know if this helps or not. Good luck.

8. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
  9. never_ending_fermata

never_ending_fermata Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Northern New Jersey
    my brown leghorn has a big floppy comb like that. and when i had the rooster his stood up. my hen also has spurs so everyone that sees her thinks its a boy. its a leghorn thing. i think you have a girl there.

10. Lovemesomechicks

Mar 13, 2008
    Dallas
    Phew. Thanks again everyone, very helpful!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by