Too big to love?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bat, Dec 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bat

Bat Chirping

Oct 21, 2017
    ok so here’s a question. We have a flock consisting of a frizzle bantam, 2 polish bantams, a little bantam rooster (true gentleman) and three vorwerk - two hens and a rooster. They’re the youngest but considerably larger (though vorwerk are considered bantam weight) The rooster is probably twice the size of the polish who are now beginning to lay.

Should I take him out of the equation before he starts thinking to get frisky with anyone or is the size difference ok you think? He’s such a sweet chap and no trouble with anyone but is he a risk to be treading on such small hens? The frizzle bantam is Truly Small though not laying yet.

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I would only remove him if he is damaging the hens. There are gentlemen rooster and there are demon roosters. Keep the good ones no matter how big they are.

3. PlymouthRockExpert

PlymouthRockExpert In the Brooder

Dec 15, 2017
    Just letem do his thing! i have 10 full grown plymouth rocks and 3 100_0092 - Edited.jpg tiny little yet full grown bantams and there the bestest of friends! 100_0355.JPG 100_0252 - Edited.jpg

4. featheredplanets

featheredplanets Songster

Nov 28, 2017
    Are the cockerels kept separate? I'd be worried more about over mating with 5 hens to two cockerels. However, I haven't seen any terrible accidents with larger cockerels mating smaller hens. Hopefully someone knows more on this.

5. Bat

Bat Chirping

Oct 21, 2017
    That’s good to hear. He is a really sweet/goofy dude. I was sad thinking I might need to take him to the woods. And the two roosters get along just fine so far.

ShiftyShickens likes this.
  6. Bat

Bat Chirping

Oct 21, 2017
    They’re together but the bantam rooster is a bit of a one-off and gets along great even with chickens and other roosters he’s never met. Supposedly vorwerk are a breed where multiple roosters can coexist so I’m hoping that they can do right. I’ll obviously be monitoring the dynamic closely

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I've got a sweet/goofy dude, too. He's huge compared to his hens but the gals love him. So I leave him. The others go to the bachelor pen.

ShiftyShickens and Bat like this.
  8. Bat

Bat Chirping

Oct 21, 2017
    Also that makes me feel a bit better about the 4 roosters I have gotten rid of. It’s easy to tell the difference when you start introducing new members to the flock

9. PlymouthRockExpert

PlymouthRockExpert In the Brooder

Dec 15, 2017
    my little guys favorite thing is get held like a baby on his back and getting his belly stroked!:lol: 100_0092 - Edited.jpg

ShiftyShickens and Bat like this.
  10. Bat

Bat Chirping

Oct 21, 2017
    I’m not sure ours would stand for that but he likes jumping up on your shoulders when you’re sitting in the garden and falling asleep on one

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: