1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Too broody of a hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DMSrabbit, Dec 12, 2010.

1. DMSrabbit

DMSrabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Portland, OR
    HELP!! I have a super broody silkie bantam on a batch of 11 fertile bantam barnvelder eggs that i purchased on ebay. She is great at laying atop the eggs; however, SHE NEVER GETS OFF!! So today (day 10) i go out to move her and candle the eggs (out of curiosity) and the nesting box smells pretty stanky. I moved her off very gently and set her aside to find that she has been defecating in the nest!! One of the eggs was completely covered in feces. Many of them are sullied up, but after candling seem to have activity inside them (minus the one covered in feces). So my question is, Are the eggs in danger of a bacterial infection? Am i going to lose them? Do i need to move physically move her off everyday? I paid a pretty penny for these eggs, and i hope they are not in danger. I have several more in an incubator (with room), should i move them out from under her? As i said, bantam barnvelders are pretty rare (and eggs are expensive), and i just want to have as successful a hatch as a possibly can. I hope there will be no problems with her continuing to hatch these, otherwise i truly have no use for this hen, and will just incubate them in the future..

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!! Nate

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Hmm, never had a broody do that before. . .

I would say chuck the one that has the most fecal matter. The rest, if they look that bad, gently wash or rub off the material. They should be fine after that.

If the Silkie does not eat or drink at all, I'd try kicking her off at least once and show her some food/water. Does she feel underweight? Does she have anything in her crop?

3. DMSrabbit

DMSrabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I already tossed the one with the most fecal matter on it, and took all of the other ones out and emptied the nest box, cleaned it, and re-lined it with timothy hay. She is now happily atop them again, but i am going to go take her off, clean the eggs a little, and re-show her the food and water.. Any other suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by