Too cold for 3 - week chicks?

LynnDJackson

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2016
Humble, Texas
I'm in Humble Texas, right outside of Houston. It's been in the 70s-80s the last couple days and we put our 3 week old chicks out in the coop today. They're pretty excited and seem happy. I just looked at the forecast for tonight and is going to dip into the 50s. Is that too cold for 3 weekers? They were on a lamp at 80° and a few days ago I turned off the lamp and they have been fine at room temp 70-75°.

Last edited:
Ok thanks! I left the brooder box set up so I'll just bring them back inside. At least they got a little fresh air and to play in their run and check out the new coop.
1f60a.png

My almost 3 week old chicks are outside in the coop. In Wisconsin. With temps below freezing at night. As long as they have a place to get warm, they will be fine.

It's a very good strategy to let them go outside during the day and bring them in where it's warm at night for the next two weeks. By the time they're five weeks old, they should be pretty much acclimated to being outside without heat as long as you wean them off the heat indoors now.

Since your days are nice and warm, if you have a run, let them romp outside and try a little low level flight. Fun for everyone.

I live in Bryan and my 30 3-week-olds have been outside for half this week. We also have been having wonderful weather, but it does get chilly at night. I've found with as many chicks as I have they keep each other quite warm. I have an insulated box in their run that allows them to get out of the wind but there is no extra heat source. They are loving being outside! They are also feathering out faster.

Back
Top Bottom