TOO COLD FOR 4 MONTH OLD MUSCOVIES?

RebinNH

Songster
Jun 15, 2022
Hi! I am concerned about my 2 young muscovies and their reaction to the cold. Here in NH the nights have been in the mid to low 40's and by tomorrow potentially in the low 30's. They were sleeping in their run in a large dog crate (with cardboard sides and against wood piles) until a couple nights ago when I finally got them in the insulated coop. Being that they are only 4 months old I read that they are not mature (that muscovies fully mature at 7 months). I assume that designation is driven somewhat by the feathering. They "seem" to be well feathered (though of late are pulling each other's tail feathers out and are just finishing a heavy molt) and all the feathers in the run and yard has begun subsided. My question is about whether I need to start adding heat (a heat lamp) in the coop. I know it's not freezing (though a frost is predicted) but if they are not fully feathered are they still susceptible to the issues with frost or if they will become too stressed by having to huddle all the time they are in there (from dark to 9ish)? I think muscovy owners may have had the experience with young ducks. Thanks!

They should be fine. At that age, they are indeed fully feathered and if they're in a coop they are protected.

I advise against a heat lamp or other heat source for a few reasons: one, the potential for a fire, and two, they need to adapt. they can't put on a coat when they go outside so their bodies need to adapt to the weather conditions. We're having similar temps here and everyone is doing fine, including the ones that are less than four months old.

Back
Top Bottom