Too cold for a single chicken? Need advice ASAP

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LaurasLorps, Feb 8, 2012.

1. LaurasLorps

LaurasLorps Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    I have a small backyard flock and this weekend a dog got in our yard and killed all but one of our chickens [​IMG]

We are in the process of looking for some more chickens to add to our flock, but haven't found any yet (not many people seem to be selling hens this time of year).
    Anyway, tonight it is supposed to be down in the 20s, and I am worried that our lone surviving chicken may not be warm enough without the others to snuggle with. My husband built our coop this summer and it seems pretty draft-free, but I know chickens usually rely on each other for warmth on cold nights. I can bring her in the house and let her sleep in the pet carrier tonight.

Am I overreacting? Will she be warm enough on her own, or should I bring her in?

Thanks!

2. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    she'll be fine. I live in Vermont and had a hen who stayed in a tree every night, by herself. It's been down to -8 here and she was fine, til she got eaten by a raccon last week! She was up in a maple tree no leaves wind rain snow cold.... you name it.

If you still feel bad, give her some tasty treats.... but it is actually not good for her to be brought in where it is very warm, like your house, and than put back outside where it is cold.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by