1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Too cold for chickens and GPs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Apopka Cluckers, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Apopka Cluckers

Apopka Cluckers Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    It seems like it is actually going to get cold overnight tonight and I just wanted to ask everyones advice on what I need to do with my chickens and puppies.

The temperature tonight and tomorrow night are going to be around 25-29 degrees. I have 8 12 weeks old chickens in a 10X10 coop that is closed on three sides and has wire on the south side.

I also have an 11 year old great pyrenees dog and 2 3 month old great pyrenees puppies. They have a rather large pen with a 25sq ft dog house that they don't go in most of the time.

Do I need to do anything special with these guys tonight? Forgive my ignorance but this is my first winter with chickens and it hasn't gotten this cold in Florida until now.

I have been thinking about closing all 3 dogs in the pen so that they would go in the house if they got too cold and maybe cover the wire portion of the chicken coop.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    if its windy, i could cover up some of that open side of the coop, and then i would give them lots of bedding to nest in.

3. Apopka Cluckers

Apopka Cluckers Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    They have 5" on hay in there as bedding. Do you think that would suffice or would I be better running 200' of extension cord and running a light out there?

I was thinking about covering the open side as well but your suggestion just gave me the umph to get it done now before it gets too cold.

The chickens generally lie together and huddle at night regardless of temperature and only use their roost during the day so I guess body warmth might help them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by