Too cold for cockerel?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SkyWarrior, Dec 4, 2011.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I have a young cockerel that is one of a group of 5 that I hatched out together in September. Unlike his siblings, he seems to have a terrible time with the cold snap we've had. I found him the other day on his side with his legs held out. I put him in a cage under a heat lamp and he came around fine and I was able to take him out when the temperature got above 32F. Today, while I was out doing errands, the temperature dropped again and he evidently had problems. I found him beneath the other four stretched out again. I put him in the brooder again and put a heat lamp on him and a younger chick who hatched out in October. The October chick is nowhere near as bothered by the cold as this one is.

I am wondering if this bird is really too sensitive to the cold and should be culled. (I was planning on it once he was big enough for freezer camp). What can I do to get him over his cold problem? I'm feeding an 18% chick food to them. No signs of diarrhea or other issues. [​IMG]

2. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Anyone?

He's doing better, but holds one of his legs straight out. I can move it back okay without pain, but he seems to just stay "stuck."

I really don't want to keep him under the heat lamp for the entire winter. What's going on?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by