Too cold for Mother and 9wk old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Marc_M, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Marc_M

Marc_M Just Hatched

Jun 23, 2011
    Hi all,

I had a hen sneak away and hatch 5 babies on Oct. 10. It was nice and sunny and warm, so I didn't worry too much. However it is going to get seriously frigid here in a few days and I am concerned. She is still spending the night with them in a nesting box (their choice), but increasingly she, of course, is trying to 'cut the cord'. With day temps going down below 20 F and night temps as low as 6 F, I don't know if they can sustain and I don't know if I can count on Mom is going to continue her 'duties'.

I don't have an intermediary spot, temp.-wise between the coop and indoors and it is impractical and probably unsafe to put a heat lamp in the coop.

Are we ok here? Any ideas?

They live in a very large coop with 10 grown chickens (1 gentle rooster) and 2 ducks and have been well accepted into their tight-knit flock.

TIA for your time and concern,

Marc Miller
    N.E. Penna., US

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Well, I live in Florida, so I might not be the best person to answer! Since the chicks are two months old, they should be fully feathered. I think they will be fine with whatever precautions you take with the rest of your flock. They have each other for body warmth.

3. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    They'll be fine :) I had a broody hatch some in November last year, and I'm in N.Colorado; they did just fine. They were out from under mom by 4 weeks so she could hatch another brood.(she's a broody machine lol)

1 person likes this.
  4. Marc_M

Marc_M Just Hatched

Jun 23, 2011
    Thank you so much for taking your time to answer my question. As always, I find excellent advice from caring people.
    Thank you again.

Marc MIller

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Show a picture of their feathering and where they roost. I have multiple broods nine weeks or less and only one at five weeks still has mother hen. Older broods not roosting up are using huddle boxes or flat surfaces allowing chicks to roost together in a tight circle sort of like quail.

6. GingersHuman

GingersHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2016
    NC
    They'll be fine. I have the opposite happening, bantam mom still brooding large fowl chicks at over 11 weeks, she sleeps under them at night! Ha ha!

7. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    X2 Since they have been outside, at that age they should be acclimated, I would be conned only if they had been inside all this time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by